Drumgelloch (1989) Station opened in May 1989, the single platform occupying the trackbed of the former 'Up' line. It served as the eastern terminus of the line from Glasgow and Airdrie until 9th May, 2010, when it closed to make way for the reinstatement of the double-track railway from Airdrie to Bathgate. It was replaced by the present Drumgelloch Station which opened on 6th March, 2011, 600 yards to the east on the site of the former Clarkston Station. Near here the line from the Calderbank Malleable Ironworks crossed Bathgate & Coatbridge line and joined the Ballochney Railway branch to Moffat Mills at Calderbank Branch Junction.
The leading car of BR York Class 320 3-car EMU No. 320 308 at Drumgelloch Station near Airdrie, Lanarkshire, which, prior to the reopening of the line to Bathgate, was the easternmost extremity of the North Clydeside route from Helensburgh via Glasgow Queen Street Low Level. This station has now been closed and a new Drumgelloch Station built further east near Clarkston on the reopened section of line. 9th May, 2006. [Michael Laing]
Opened as Airdrie South: 11th August, 1862. Renamed Airdrie: 3rd March, 1952.
Airdrie Station serves the town of Airdrie in North Lanarkshire. It is situated 11 miles to the east of Glasgow Queen Street Station and was opened by the Bathgate & Coatbridge Railway on 11th August, 1862. The station has recently been refurbished in connection with the reopening of the line between Drumgelloch and Bathgate, with enhancements including the reinstatement of the former 'up' through platform with a capacity for nine-car trains. The 'down' through platform has also been extended and a large car park has been provided. The station is currently managed by ScotRail and is served by trains from Helensburgh and Milngavie to Edinburgh Waverley, plus terminating trains from Balloch.
Commencing 12th December, 2010, Airdrie was served by two trains per hour to and from Helensburgh Central and Edinburgh Waverley, two trains per hour to and from Milngavie and Edinburgh Waverley, and two trains per hour to and from Balloch.
Ex-LNER Class V3 2-6-2T No. 67660 approaches Airdrie Station on 26th March, 1960, with a train from Helensburgh. On the right of the photo, gantry sections for the overhead electrification of the line can be seen waiting erection. [W.S. Sellar]